Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Model Proposal

My two research topics are fractal geometry and parametric modelling. So by default, I looked into ideas of parametric modelling. I tried to recreate a very simple concept of the interaction between parametric modelling and fractal geometry. Using two basic forms of parametric modelling, parametric truss and parametric columns, I attempted to show the self similarity between each step of the parametric modelling. In my grasshopper definition, I created three of the same structure of a parametric truss, but its resulting geometry are different based on the parameters set for each truss, so displaying the basic idea of parametric modelling, where we apply modification to one single geometry and be able to create theoretically limitless amount of iterations.

Then to represent the fractal geometry’s idea of self similarity, I first created a rail curve from the geometry of the truss, and then using the sweep function, created a parametric column based on the two dimensional shapes created in each of the three truss as sections of the sweep. This shows the idea of self similarity between each columns because if you look at one column from the resulting geometry component, the ‘part’ will resemble the ‘whole’, each column is self similar to each other. Also self similarity can be found each sections of the columns. Each sections at every level of a column are self similar to each other, they are all generated from one simple geometry, thus referring back to the idea of parametric modelling, generating iterations based on a single component.

As for the physical applications, the site that I have chosen for Assignment 03 is the Bennelong Apartments near the Opera House, I have taken into account the design of the Opera House and the vicinity of the environment, to blend with the other architecture around, I chose to use a quadrilateral shape as my base geometry to compliment the surround structures.



No comments:

Post a Comment